Other Categories Seeking Undergraduate Admission:

Former Students Returning (FSR) 

Students who are not enrolled during the current semester (summer session not included), but who have previously attended Howard University are classified as Former Students Returning (FSR). 

FSRs must submit an application following the appropriate application deadlines. An application fee and enrollment fee are not required. FSRs absent from the University for two or more years must also obtain a medical clearance from the University Student Health Center before they can complete the registration process. 

Students who cease to attend the University for one semester or more, whether or not voluntarily, are subject to all regulations and requirements in force at the time they resume their studies, unless other arrangements have been agreed to by the dean and recorded in writing before their absence. 

In general, FSRs are readmitted to the last school in which they were enrolled at Howard University. Applicants must submit an official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended since last enrolled at Howard to the Office of the Registrar. Credit will be awarded for those courses taken that are comparable to courses offered at Howard University in which the student has earned a grade of C or better. 

Before readmission is granted, students who are absent from the University for the following reasons must fulfill the corresponding requirements: 

Withdrawn for health reasons- Clearance from the University Student Health Center must be obtained, such correspondence should be directed to the Administrator, University Student Health Center, 2139 Georgia Ave NW, 2nd Floor, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059. 

Cumulative GPA below 2.0--Approval from the school/college must be received in the University Registrar's Office before readmission can be granted for any student who left the university with a cumulative GPA below 2.0. Students are encouraged to consult with the advising unit within their school/college to discuss readmission. Students should also remain aware of their Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status as it relates to receiving Financial Aid. A separate appeal process is required for students who are not meeting SAP. Academic and SAP suspension statuses can be viewed via BisonWeb. 

Academic Suspension-Students who are academically suspended must seek reinstatement through the college or school from which they were suspended. If reinstatement is granted by the school or college, students must then complete all readmission processes required by the Office of Admissions and the Registrar. In most instances, suspended students must be out of school for at least one semester to submit a reinstatement petition. Suspended students are encouraged to consult with the advising unit within their school/college to discuss the reinstatement petition process, deadlines, and eligibility requirements at least one semester prior to their desired readmission date. 

Disciplinary suspension and/or withdrawal -Readmission may be sought for any period following expiration of the suspension period. 

All voluntary withdrawals-Persons who withdraw voluntarily must follow readmission processes outlined by the Office of the Admissions. 

Once a student graduates, he/she may not return to the same school or status as an undergraduate, but must be considered either graduate/professional, unclassified, or seeking another undergraduate degree and must pay the applicable application fees.