International Transfer Student Admission Requirements

International Students: Transfer

A student who has completed academic studies at another college or university may be considered for transfer admission.

International Transfer Students: Academic Eligibility.

The minimum standards for admission consideration as a transfer student are:

  • A passing grade of C or better in both a college-level English and college-level math course
  • A minimum of 15 credits (30 credits for the School of Business) from an accredited postsecondary institution
  • 2.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA) (3.0 GPA for the School of Business)

The following documents are required for admission consideration:

  1. An on-line application is preferred with non-refundable US$45 application fee. Personal checks are not accepted. Application fees are not waived.
  2. One letter of recommendation from a teacher or professor.
  3. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions. If your transcript is in a foreign language or grade scale system, an official English translation is required by the World Education Services( requesting the International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) (Transcript + Evaluation) Course-by-Course (with GPA & course levels) Report only.
  4. An official TOEFL- Howard’s school code is 5297. Only official reports from ETS will be accepted. Scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) are required for applicants whose native language is not English. Once the application is received, a member from EM/Admission will inform the student if he/she must take this test.
  5. In lieu of the TOEFL (if not offered in your country), applicants may submit results from IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with an overall score of a 6.5.
  6. Statement of Financial Resources Form; the first column must be completed, using the figures shown for your student status. It must be signed by you and your sponsor. If you are selfsponsored, you should sign on both lines. The form does not require a signature or stamp by a bank official.

Statement of Financial Resources (PDF)

  1. Sponsor’s letter stating the sponsor’s name, your name, relationship to the sponsor and the sponsor’s intent to be responsible for your expenses; if you are self-sponsored, you should submit a letter stating that you are sponsoring yourself.
  2. Recent monthly bank statement; if the statement is in a foreign currency, the US dollar equivalence and conversion rate must be stated. The balance must match or exceed the total completed in the right column on the Financial Resources Form; a letter written by a bank is not acceptable.
  3. Residential address in your country of origin; PO Box only or commercial addresses are not acceptable.
  4. International Students transferring from a college/university within the United States must also send:
  5. Copy of your I-94 and current I-20.
  6. Color copy of your passport photo page and visa page.
  7. Transfer Form completed by the immigration advisor at your current school

Mail all required documents to:
Howard University
Office of Admission
2400 Sixth Street NW, Suite 111
Washington, DC 20059

Immigration form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility), needed to obtain a student visa, is not issued until the applicant has (1) been officially accepted by the University, (2) paid the enrollment fee, and (3) submitted a financial statement indicating how expenses will be met while attending the University.

Regulations of the Immigration and Naturalization Service require that all people on F-1 (student) visas pursue a full course of study at all times. This means that undergraduates must be enrolled in no less than 12 credit hours at all times. For additional information contact the Office of International Student Services at (202) 806-4124.

International students who have been accepted at Howard University are not guaranteed housing.

For additional information regarding housing, contact the Office of Residence Life at (202) 806-6131.